Thursday 7 June 2012

A Nest of Puppies

Such a proud Momma dog with her 8 pups

Last night I had quite the adventurous walk up the mountain. I will tell about it in this post. My friend and I often walk up the mountain to chat and get some exercise. There are several dog teams tied up partway up there right now, because of the danger of flooding that was present when the river was breaking up. Normally the dog teams are tied up beside the river and in the case of a flood, they would quickly drown, being tied up and having no way to escape.

When we walk by the dogs, they start barking and running around in the area they can reach. Often we comment that we hope one doesn't get loose. Well yesterday I was without my friend and one was loose. It ran up to me and luckly was friendly. I tried to get him tied back up the best I could when the action happened. My dog went over to one dog's area and the next thing I know, they are fighting, scrapping it out. I yell at my dog to get away, while simultaneously looking down and realizing the reason for the fight. A nest of puppies lies near the spot where they were fight. The fighting dog was a Mom and was protecting her pups.

A nest of 8 pups in a little hole in the Earth

At closer look, there were 8 puppies--3 black, two brown, one blonde and two white. Their eyes were closed and they could fit into the palm of your hand. The Mom looked so proud of her pups and you could tell she would do anything to keep them safe.

Spring has turned to summer so rapidly here. With it being near 24 hour daylight, it seems like the buds coming out on trees and the greening of the land is fast forwarded compared to places further South. The photo below is taken on the road up the mountain where I have taken many photos from. The view is equally stunning in all seasons. I feel so lucky to have been here to see the change in seasons. It is comforting to know that whatever is going on in your life, good or bad, that the seasons change just the same. Time passes through good times and not so good times.

Old Crow from the road up the mountain
We had a CO2 car race at the school today. It was great to see the cars that my class made (with the help of a community member) raced in front of their parents and peers. Thanks for reading my blog and more photos to come in the upcoming days.

Warm Regards from Old Crow,

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment