Tuesday 12 June 2012

One Last Post

Crow Mountain
To help a friend out where you live,  you might help them move into a new house. Or help them move furniture or maybe even a boat. In Old Crow, you help a friend by bringing 15 sled dogs and 13 sled dog pups down a mountain to a new dogyard. I got to do this a few nights ago and it was so much fun! We took 3 trips down with several dogs each (I only got one or two at a time depending on how strong they were). And were they ever strong! I fell once and they pulled so hard. We were wishing it was winter so that we could be in sleds and have the dogs do the work and pull us down.

The last job was to bring the two mother dogs and two litters of pups down. We did this with the help of a quad, a trailer and two tupperware bins. My friend took care of the mother dogs while I collected the tiny few-day old pups and put them into two separate tupperware bins. We quaded down the mountain with one mother dog in a crate on the trailer and the other running beside us (this is a popular way to keep sled dogs exercised in summer time--run them beside quads). All dogs and pups were returned to their summer dog yard and the pups were safely put into dog houses that my friend had set up with straw. This entire process was so exciting and fun and I feel really luck to have been able to experience it.

Dogs taking a drink from the river after coming down from the mountain
I am writing this post on June 12th. It was a blowing snowstorm when I woke up this morning. My first thought was "At least I don't have to tree plant in this." I dressed warmly, walked my dog in it and made a big pot of tea to have with breakfast. I guess this is pretty normal for living in the Arctic, and one year it snowed on July 1st. When I walked into the staff room today, written on the white board said: 'Only two more days until Christmas Holidays' (instead of summer holidays).
Add caption


Second litter of pups


This might be my last post before leaving Old Crow as I fly out in a few days. I have enjoyed my time here and think I might be a bit taken by the Yukon so much that I'll be back here somewhere in September. Thank you all, for reading my posts and following my stories I have put here. I will leave you with a few close-up shots of the spring growth on the path beside the airport that I often walk.

Warm Regards from Old Crow,

Haley




No comments:

Post a Comment