Sunday 4 March 2012

Hoar Frost

Ptarmigan in a hoar frosted tree

Hoar frost is a common occurrence here in Old Crow. Hoar frost is the  solid deposition of water vapour from saturated air.  The ice crystals of ice fog attach themselves onto surfaces that are exposed to the fog, including trees, fences, bushes, hats, neck warmers, eye lashes and dog whiskers. Below are a few visual explanations of hoar frost.

Hoar Frost loves eye lashes

Hoar frosted dogs
Hoar frosted landscape with Crow Mountain in the background

I have been cross country skiing a lot in the recent days. The river is my favourite place to go even though it's often extremely windy. It gives an amazing view of the sky and is one of the most peaceful places I have ever been. My other favourite place to ski and walk is a skidoo trail that goes up behind the small subdivision behind my house. I watched the sunrise from this hill during my first week here. I have posted a few photos of that below. There is something primitively completing about watching the sun rise over the horizon. I sometimes think of what it would be like to be able to attach an emotion to a photograph. I wish I could attach the serene beauty of the moment to these photographs.

Sunrise over Old Crow

Welcome, day!

On a more practical note than sun rises and ice fog, a friend from Port Alberni recently asked about the water and sewage system at the housese here. Water and sewage (at my house anyway) are on closed systems. Water is delivered each day by a water truck. Sewage is taken every few days by a sewage truck. I assume it's the permafrost that prevents sewage systems at each dwelling.

There are only several vehicles in town. Most people's transportation is by skidoo in the winter and quad in the summer months. There are maybe 12 operating trucks/vans/SUVs in town, belonging to locals, the school, the RCMP, the Government and Air North.

Muskrat push up on a lake
The photo above is a muscrat push up. From what I understand, this is the place where muscrats store food. It is a way the Vuntut Gwitch'in find the muscrats to hunt in lakes and rivers. I am going to learn much more about muscrat push-ups when I attend Culture Camp with my class. Culture Camp is a land-based traditional skills program put on by the Vuntut Gwitch'in Government. It is a way for Elders and community members to teach the youth and children traditional skills like hunting, trapping, and the arts. I am so excited for this experience which starts on March 18th. More about muscrat push ups after Culture Camp!

Warm Regards from Old Crow,

Haley

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog site Hale, especially the name, Hale tales! Wicked photography and very good writing. Your mommy will be proud :-)

    Keep up the great work. Let's get the skype thing happening. Would be fun to connect with you that way if possible.

    Bordabis 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete! Thanks for reading! Nice to hear from you :)I mentioned you in my last post about trees... confirming that most of the trees are black spruce. Let's skype sometime for sure.

      Delete