Friday 2 March 2012

The Porcupine River

Windblown snow on the Porcupine River

Old Crow is located at the intersection of the Porcupine and the Crow Rivers. The river is important to many aspects of everyday life here. It is a major food source, as people fish it during summer and winter and the Porcupine caribou herd swim its cliff-lined waters on their migration to the calving grounds. It provides transportation in the summer and winter months and seems to be an exciting topic of conversation during the melt, when massive ice chunks appear as it begins to melt and break up. I can't wait to see this.
Vantage Point of the Town from the Porcupine River

Within my first week of being her I had my first locally sourced meal. It was salmon from the Porcupine River that was made for the hot lunch program that happens at the school on Mondays and Fridays. It was delicious. The Porcupine River is part of the Yukon River basin and is underlain always by permafrost.
Ice on the wind blown River
In the Gwitch'in language, February is 'Ahrai'zrii' which means, 'Windy Month.' The roads in town are slick from being completely wind beaten and parts of the river are ice from the snow being blown away completely. A few nights ago, the wind was howling outside my house and I fell asleep and awoke to the sound of viscious wind. The next day someone told me they were worried someone's roofing might blow off.
Near the Meeting of the Crow River and the Caribou River
The River offers a wonderful vantage point of the town, and Crow Mountain behind. I explored the River first on foot my first time, and since my skis have arrived (thanks for sending them all the way from Ontario, Mom!) I have explored on skis. The first time I skiied on the River and found myself at the point where the two Rivers meet, I felt a similar feeling to being at Thunderhouse Falls on the Missinaibi River, or the meeting of the two Rivers in Nepal where I witnessed a major religious festival called Magh Sacranti. Right away I realized this meeting place was a place of real significance and power.

Skiing on the Porcupine River

Panoramic View of Old Crow from the Porcupine River. The dome shaped building on the right is the hockey rink.
Air North plane flying almost directly over me before landing in Old Crow.
An local icefisherman I came across one day on my ski told me the ice is six feet thick. The same day I witnessed an Air North plane fly directly above me, about to land at the Old Crow air strip. The sky spans out around you when you ski on the river andd the freedom to ski wherever you please is so exciting.

Cliffs at the Meeting of the Crow and the Caribou Rivers

Frosted eye lashes and headband while skiing

Beading class ended formally, but I'll continue it at home with my roomate. I survived writing my first real set of full report cards. It's currently March break here, and I plan to ski, explore, lesson plan, work on my beading, blog, train my new pup (pics to come later) and maybe go to Dawson City for a few days. Thanks for reading, and I'll keep the posts coming now that I have the blog up and going.

Warm Regards from Old Crow,

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment