Saturday 24 March 2012

Wind Chill

Wind over the Crow River
 Hello Family and Friends! I got back from Culture Camp this afternoon and had a wonderful week out on the land with my class, some locals, Elders, community members and the 7,8,9 teacher from last year who was coordinating the trip. Culture Camp is an experiential learning project supported by the Vuntut Gwitch'in First Nation and the Yukon Government. It is land-based learning, where students learn traditional skills that directly connect to the curriculum for their grade.

More about Culture Camp in tomorrow's post, but today's post will be about wind chill. These photos were taken last Sunday, the day we were supposed to leave for Culture Camp. The trip was postponed due to a wind chill in the -40s. I went out for a ski and took these photos on the Crow River.

Diamond-like ice

On sunny days and in some places, you can see the river bottom through the ice

Almost skateable ice on the Crow River

Wind chill, or the wind chill factor is the felt air temperature on exposed skin due to wind. It is always lower than the air temperature. The day we were to leave for Culture Camp, the air temperature was only -28, but the wind chill was in the -40s.

My neck warmer has been my saving grace for wind chill, and it is probably one of my most utilized pieces of clothing in Old Crow.

Even the banks of the river are wind swept




I have so much to tell about Culture Camp and all that I learned and experienced there and how incredible it is to see my students learning and practicing traditional skills. That will be my post tomorrow.

Thank you for reading, and hoping you are enjoying the first days of spring wherever you may be.

Warm Regards from Old Crow,

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment