Tuesday 10 April 2012

Easter Weekend in Old Crow

Easter weekend in Old Crow was so much fun! From Friday to Monday there was nonstop activities, games, feasts, food and fun community events. There was a talent show with fiddle playing and singing and juggling. There were jigging competitions with live fiddle music.

Someone shot a caribou on the Saturday and it was cooked up on the Sunday to be eaten. My piece still had some hair on it, but was really tasty anyways. The ultimate fresh I guess.

I can't remember the last time I played musical chairs until this weekend. So fun! There were tape-unwrapping dice games (don't know the real name of this one). I got second place in a sled pull, where I was pulled on a sled and then pulled someone.

There was an old fashioned tug-of-war and egg tossing and egg-spoon races that were really fun to participate in. Maybe the most fun of the activities was the log push. The log push is two teams of two people each (on opposite ends of a large log) who are trying to push the other team outside of a circle. My team got pushed out of the circle in about 3 seconds, but it was fun to watch the rest of the events.

Yesterday I skied 11km upriver to a cabin that the school has for school trips. It was warm (-15 at coldest) and beautifully sunny all day. The trail was hard packed from people skidooing on it. At the school cabin we ate grilled cheese, (with sprouts that I grew in a glass jar on my kitchen table :) )  tomato soup and drank coffee. This was Ayla's longest adventure yet, and she did really well! At the school cabin she slept, zipped up in my down jacket. So cute! The 11km back was fun and still super sunny.

I was hoping to see a caribou, as the school cabin is at atop a hill called 'Caribou Lookout.' No such luck, but I had an amazing bum-toboggan down to the river from the cabin.

I am totally loving Old Crow and the Yukon. The return of the light is absolutely amazing. Everyone is in high spirits and I find I need so much less sleep. I am wide awake in the morning and almost have to force myself to go to sleep at night. In not too long it will be 24 hour of light.

I was up at 3am to let the dog out to go to the washroom and saw some of the most amazing Northern lights I have seen here.

Hope everyone had a good Easter weekend. Saw some beautiful daffodil photos near Chilliwack (Thanks A-M!) and it looks like spring is in full force everywhere.

My camera cord still is not working, so I will have to post photos later. For now I will post something I saw and really liked. Take care, everyone.

Warm Regards from Old Crow,

Haley

Loved this

1 comment:

  1. Hale,

    First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    Just read all you recent postings. Sounds like you're having a blast in Old Crow and really enjoying yourself with all that you can do up there. I'm jealous. I loved my weeks in the Yukon when I was travelling up there regularly working on the land claims.

    Northern lights up there are spectacular eh? Glad you've had that opportunity to see real northern lights. Fits in with the rest of the wicked experiences your gaining.

    Cultural Camp sounds pretty good despite the delay due to winds. Are you making a muskrat hat now? I have a fat head in case you're making one for me, hehe! Careful with the jokes :-)

    Nice and toasty down here. We got ripped off for winter. Didn't have to shovel any snow this stupid winter. You're making up for it though.

    Had a nice time in Vancouver at Gerry's Celebration of Life. It was really nice to connect with many. It was particularly nice to see my dear aunt Rita again and her many children. I love the Johnsons! Laura Bell is the best, she cracks me up.

    Not much else to report here, its the same old. I did have some knee surgery in the past two weeks which went amazingly well. Hopefully I can play hockey again, which I think was the cause of my injury to my medial meniscus.

    I'm mountain biking with a vengeance this year, participating in a few races. Fun fun!

    chat again soon Hale. Hey, got skype working yet?

    Love Pete

    ReplyDelete