Sunday 29 April 2012

Ski Touring Day on Crow Mountain

I could lie and say I'm a dog whisperer, but the truth is that I'm holding a bag of raw meat
The descent down Crow Mountain

Today I did something I have wanted to do since arriving in Old Crow. I skiied up (and down) Crow Mountain. Four humans and four dogs made the trek, two people on skis and two on snowshoes. Two of us were teachers and the other two were researchers, one doing a phD on muskrats and the other conducting research on H. pylori (a bacteria that causes ulcers and potentially stomach cancer and is common is Old Crow).
Ayla, (far left) with her husky friends
Huskies in their element on the mountain

The first point of interest we got to was a gravel pit quarry that has been mined for gravel to be used for roads in town. Again, I was amazed by the massive machinery in a place that brings everything in by plane. We then saw that exact plane land and take off, which was quite neat. When watching it land or take off from town it is quite huge and impressive. From part way up a mountain it looked small and insignificant.


Gravel pit machinery

Gravel pit part way up Crow Mountain

The next impressive view was of Second Mountain. Most of the snow on Second Mountain was gone and it gave us an impressive view our entire way to the top. There were patchy spots on Crow Mountain. It was quite neat to step over beautiful lichen with my cross country skis. At the end of April too!

The crew for the day, with Second Mountain in the background

Kiss from a malamute pup
Never thought my Sudbury skis would see Yukon lichen :)

The view from the top of the mountain was beyond stunning. Picture a 360 degree view of mountains, with oxbowed rivers, river banks, and lakes in front of the mountains. The sky is massive and surreal. A few white ptarmigans flew down the mountain beside us. A massive raven sails on the thermals above us. Is he hunting, or do they do this for fun?

The Porcupine River from partway up Crow Mountain

Two researchers and a teacher eating lunch on top of Crow Mountain
Caribou antlers at the summit of Crow Mountain


Skiing down was unreal fun. Although on cross country skis, I was able to make some incredibly fun turns. The snow was lightly powder on top and just soft enough to not fall through but to be able to carve. I could have played up there all day--hiking up and skiing down time after time. At one point I couldn't resist trying to take a little jump with my cross country skis. It went well until I hit soft snow and my skis dug in and I literally fell face first into (luckily soft) snow. Lots of laughing.

Nonstop play fighting for the dogs

Just seconds before the most epic faceplant of my life
Tired pups resting at lunch


Old Crow and the Porcupine River from atop Crow Mountain
Crow Mountain gave an incredibly veiw of the town of Old Crow and gave a good idea of why the put the town where. I was able to see where Culture Camp happened, and where I had gone skidooing and skiing on the Porcuipine River. I found a few caribou antlers sticking out of the snow on my ski down. Absolutely breathtaking. I am so thankful for good company, good conversation, sunshine and a summit.

Thanks for reading.

Warm Regards from Old Crow,

Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment